Saturday, July 15, 2006

Honey and Clover II 1

So, I've kind of decided that I need something to write about, and that has lead me to the decision to do episode write ups for two new shows (Honey and Clover II and Welcome to the NHK). No I am far to lazy to do screen captures or put anything behind a cut, or whatever, so consider this your warning. If you don't wanna know what I think before hand just skip these entries.

To start with, because it's easy to do a write up of, I present you Honey and Clover II 1. Honey and Clover II is a 13 episode follow up to 2005's Honey and Clover. Both are based on the Honey and Clover manga by Chika Umino (her only work as far as I can tell).

Anyways episode 1 is a dreaded recap episode. Yes it was kind of nice to have a little but of a reminder of the gist of the first 24 episodes, and I suppose for one who didn't watch the first series this would be indispensable. However, for someone rather well versed in the first series it was a little bothersome. Takemoto delivered some good narration (most of the narration and soliloquy style musings in the first series are excellent). There was also about 45 seconds of new montagey animation, but that was really all there was to the episode.

Since there wasn't much show to write about here's a quick rundown of my thoughts on the OP/ED.

OP- Ah YUKI I am oh so happy you are back again to squawk the opening theme at us. Actually I don't particularly care for the artist, but at least the song this time is better than the first series. As this iteration of YUKI is fair inoffensive, as opposed to annoyingly bad. The lyrics also are far superior I think. The animation is in the same “unique” style as the first season of the first series. That being said at least there is no creepy dancing food this time around. It is hardly conventional, and strikes me as neither particularly good or particularly bad. However, it did amuse me that there was a random pancake thrust in at the end, as if they just couldn't live without one food item in the credits (as a side note this is a drama that focuses on a bunch of art students and is in no way a cooking anime).

ED- Ah Suneohair you I am very happy to hear again. After doing an excellent job with “Waltz” as the 1st ED in the 1st series I was excited to see they came back for Honey and Clover II. The song “Split” is both excellent musically and has lyrics that are both good and extremely appropriate for the tone and content of the show. The credit sequence is nothing to write home about. The only thing of interest is that they do the next episode preview during the song. This means you get about a 10 to 15 second montage of clips and no narration so, sometimes it's a bit of a mystery, but I like it.

Ok that's it for this time around. There will be more next time as I assume new things will actually happen. As a quick summary OP feel free to skip, ED listen and enjoy.

1 comment:

Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

oh....thanks for that thing about the pancake. I'm at work trying to be sneaky and read your review and then you go and do something like that and I laugh and then have to make it sound like I'm coughing. Which makes it sound like I'm choking on something.

Thank you for that.